DSNLU National Virtual Seminar on Sports Law Governance and Regulation
The Centre for Intellectual Property Rights and Technology at Damodaram Sanjivayya National Law University is going to organize the "DSNLU National Virtual Seminar on Sports Law Governance and Regulation".
Date of Seminar: 10th April, 2021
About the Seminar:
By its very nature, Sports Law, as a distinct field of law, spans across various different jurisprudence; for example, the law of contracts and negotiation, media law, public competition, the laws on drugs narcotics and artificial stimulants, etc. In India, there is no Central or State Legislation that regulates sports per see. The governance of sports in India is interspersed among many institutions at the international, national, regional, and local levels. Thus, there is an extreme dearth of clarity among law professionals, students, sportsmen and even sports regulators regarding the actual facets, scope, application, and interpretation of this law.
Given India's recent rise as a force to be reckoned with in the sphere of sports, it becomes even more imperative to overcome this shortcoming and remove the deficit in knowledge and comprehension of Sports Law. It is a practical law as opposed to theoretical law and is concerned with how law in general interacts with the activity known as sports, physical education etc. Sports law is growing to be an important aspect of the sports industry and knowledge of the legal aspects of the sports business is a tool which future lawyers must possess. The growing interaction between sports and law has created a new need in society for a greater understanding of how law relates to the sporting world.
The Centre of Intellectual Property Rights and Technology Law of Damodaram Sanjivayya National Law University is taking the initiative to organize a seminar to discuss, deliberate on the legal regulation of sports in modern times and as an amalgam of such diverse legal disciplines as sports law and policy, contract, tort, taxation, labor, competition, TV rights, match-fixing and related criminal laws, etc. and building a generation of the best sports lawyers from legal novices at the national and international stage.
The Seminar focuses on the specific nature of sports and its pertinent jurisprudence. It extensively addresses and deals with a variety of facets ranging from criminal offenses like fraud and cheating to civil liability arising from contractual obligations which form an integral part of the subject matter of Sports Law. The topics and technical sessions are structured not only to illustrate the theoretical aspect of the subject but enable the participants to understand the practical application of the principles by analyzing the plethora of sports jurisprudence, explaining the interplay between the various laws related to it, identifying the distribution of powers among sports regulatory bodies both national and international and providing a comprehensive view of their dispute resolution mechanism.
This Seminar aims to bring together leading academicians, researchers, advocates, research scholars and students to exchange and share their experiences and research results on all aspects of Governance of Sports Law. It also provides a premier inter-disciplinary platform for researchers, practitioners, and sports educators to present and discuss the most recent innovations, trends, and concerns as well as practical challenges encountered and solutions adopted in the fields of Governance of Sports Law.
Call for Contributions:
Prospective Authors are requested to contribute their research in the form of abstracts, papers, and e-posters. Also, high-quality research contributions describing original and unpublished results of conceptual, constructive, empirical, experimental, or theoretical work in all areas of Governance of Sports Law are cordially invited for presentation at the seminar. Submissions must be original, unpublished works. After review, manuscripts may be returned to Authors for including suggestions made by the editorial panel. Acceptance of the piece for publication may be made contingent upon incorporating such suggestions. All submissions will be reviewed and evaluated based on originality, research, and relevance to the seminar. Manuscripts will be tested for copyright violations and hence Authors are requested to submit un-plagiarized work. The themes are not exhaustive. Anything which is related to the seminar is accepted.
- IPR and Sports a Symbiotic Relationship
- Economic and Legal Aspects of Transfers of Players
- Future of Gambling in Professional Sports
- Sports Law and Entrepreneurship
- Personality Rights and Sports Law
- Designs Specific IP Rights and Sports
- Trade Secrets and Sports
- Global Impact of Counterfeiting Sporting Goods and Sports Wear
- Sports Trademarks, Special Protection of Olympic Properties, and Ambush Marketing
- Media Rights and the Exclusivity of Sports Broadcasts
- Key Principles of the World Anti-Doping Code
- Sports Governing Bodies in the Fight against Match-fixing
- Supervision of Sports Governing Bodies by Courts
- International trends to curb sporting frauds: Regulatory Structure, Criminal Law and Courts
- Unregulated Sports Betting and Lottery Operators Perspective
- Impact of GST on IPL and other Sports
- Civil Liability and Sports Insurance: Issues and Challenges
- Income Tax Implications of Sports Persons Piracy of Live Sports Broadcasting in Emerging Economies: A Global Concern
- The word limit for abstract is 300 - 500 words in Times New Roman, font size 12 pt, 1.5 spacing.
- The abstract must be accompanied with biographical details of Author(s) in .doc / .docx format only. The biographical details must include Title of the Paper, Name of the Author(s), Designation, Institutional affiliation, contact no. and email address.
- The abstract must be submitted on or before 22nd March, 2021
- The selection of abstracts would be intimated on 23rd March 2021
- The full paper should be of 2500 - 5000 words (exclusive of footnotes) and needs to be submitted on or before 5th April 2021
- The intimation of selection of Full papers for presentation would be given on 6 April, 2021. Only the Authors of the selected papers would be allowed to make presentation during the seminar proceedings.
- The registration for the seminar shall be done after the selection of full paper only.
- The body of the submission must be in Times New Roman, font size 12 pt. and 1.5 spacing.
- The footnotes must be in Times New Roman, font size 10 pt and single spacing.
- The margin of 1 inch on all sides must be maintained throughout the paper.
- The Harvard Bluebook 20th edition style of citation must be strictly followed.
- All submissions should be sent in .doc / .docx format only.
- Any non-compliance with the prescribed guidelines would lead to prima facie rejection
- Co-authorship up to one Author is allowed.
- No part of the paper should have been published earlier nor should it be under consideration for publication.
- All the submissions should be sent through e-mail to email@example.com
- Selected few papers from the seminar will be published in a book with an ISBN number.
||22nd March, 2021
|Full Paper Submission:
||5th April, 2021
|Last date of Registration:
||7th April, 2021
|Date of Seminar:
||10th April, 2021
Mr. Shaik Khaja Basha
Ms. Yeshaswini Rao
Ms. Amutha Gayathri