National Symposium on Consumerism, Consumer Citizenship & Sustainable Consumption
The Centre for Consumer Rights & Marketing at Symbiosis Law School, Hyderabad is going to organize the National Symposium on Consumerism, Consumer Citizenship & Sustainable Consumption
Date: 11th & 12th January, 2020
About the Symposium:
Consumerism is a social movement seeking to augment the rights and powers of buyers in relation to sellers and has gradually emerged in most of the western countries as a powerful force to be reckoned with, as the markets are now flooded with innumerable varieties of products.
It's been claimed that consumerism has led the society to a point where humanity now has a global ecological footprint, one third larger than the planet we inhabit. Sustainable consumption can be a remedy for excessive consumption. Moving towards sustainable consumption may in the end be a task for the individual but the debate about this must also acknowledge the structural factors that surround the consumer.
The focus here will be on the power of the political system to intervene. Consumer citizenship ascribes weight to the dimension of citizens' duties which is predominantly explicated with the terms of responsibility: the ethics of responsibility is geared to a consumer who is urged to buy socially conscious goods. To accomplish such changes may, however, require the participation of the same individuals who are consumers but rather in their parallel role as citizens.
Objectives for the Symposium:
To bring to the fore the role of legal fraternity in creating a platform for the consumer responsibilities and citizenship To discuss the legal implications of consumer citizenship in the globalized economy and sustainable consumption
Theme for Symposium:
The major theme of the symposium is "Consumerism, Consumer Citizenship and Sustainable Consumption". The sub-themes include, but are not limited to:
- Jurisprudential and conceptual dimensions of consumerism
- Consumer advocacy - Innovation and transformation of consumer laws
- Consumer protection and criminal liability
- Consumerism in International integration of E-commerce
- Political Consumerism
- Sustainable Consumption and Corporate Responsibility
- Consumer citizenship and global citizenship
- Crony Consumerism
Call for Papers:
We are inviting quality Research Papers from the students, scholars, academicians, legal practitioners, bureaucrats, and other working professionals for the symposium.
Selected papers will be published in an edited book with ISBN or Journal of Symbiosis Law School, Hyderabad.
- The participants may send their Research Paper of 5,000 - 6,000 words
- Co-authorship up to two members is permitted.
- The participants should submit an abstract of not more than 500 words by 5th December, 2019
- The abstract and the final paper must not mention the Author's name or his / her affiliation. A separate cover page must be attached which must contain the details of the Author including Author's name, affiliation and contact details.
- The abstract and the final paper shall be accompanied by a declaration that the work submitted is original and that the content does not infringe the copyright of any other person. The University is not liable for the copyright infringements by the Authors.
- All abstracts and final papers must be submitted to the email: email@example.com
- Selection of abstracts will be notified by 10th December 2019.
- The final paper must be submitted by 3rd January, 2020.
- The participants must pay the registration fees latest by 25th December, 2019.
- Plagiarism will result in rejection of the paper.
- The manuscripts submitted shall adhere to Bluebook 20th Edition method of citation.
- The content of the abstract and manuscripts must be in Times New Roman, with font size 12 pt, 1.5 inch spacing, one inch margin space on both sides and must be justified. The foot notes must be in Times New Roman, font size 10 pt, single spaced and justified.
- The manuscripts must be submitted in doc / docx.
Registration fees (includes accommodation and food) to be paid upon selection of abstract.
- UG and PG students: INR 2000/- (additional charge of INR 1000/- per co-author)
- Research Scholars, Academicians and practitioner: INR 2500/- (additional charge of INR 1500/- per co-author)
- Corporate delegates: INR 3000/- (additional charge of INR 1500/- per co-author)
Selection of abstracts will be notified by:
10th December, 2019
The participants must pay the registration fees latest by:
25th December, 2019
The final paper must be submitted by:
3rd January, 2020
Ms. Srishti Sneha
Ms. N. Shubhangi
Symbiosis Law School
Survey No. 292, Off Bangalore Highway
Village: Mamidipalle, Mandal : Nandigama,
Hyderabad, Telangana - 509217