Employees' State Insurance Corporation (General Provident Fund) Rules, 1995
14. Advance from the fund
(1) The director general or any other officer authorized by him in this behalf, may sanction the payment to any subscriber in the prescribed form as specified in Schedule II of an advance consisting of a sum of whole rupees and not exceeding in amount three months' pay or half the amount standing to his credit in the fund, whichever is less, for one or more of the following purposes, namely:-
(a) to pay expenses in connection with the illness, confinement or a disability including where necessary, the traveling expenses of the subscriber and members of his family or any person actually dependent on him.
(b) to meet the cost of higher education including where necessary, the traveling expenses of the subscriber and member of his family or any person actually dependent on him; in the following cases, namely:-
(i) for the education outside India in respect of an academic, a technical, a professional or vocational course beyond the High School stage; and
(ii) for any medical, engineering or other technical or specialized course in India beyond the High School stage, provided that the course of study is of not less than three years' duration;
(c) to pay obligatory expenses on a scale appropriate to the subscribers' status which, by customary usage the subscribers have to incur in connection with betrothal or marriages, funerals or other ceremonies;
(d) to meet the cost of legal proceedings instituted by or against the subscriber or any person actually dependent upon him, the advance in this case being available in addition to any advance admissible for the same purpose from any other government source;
(e) to meet the cost of his defense where the subscriber engages a legal practitioner to defend himself in an enquiry in respect of any alleged official misconduct on his part;
(f) to meet the cost of plot or construction of a house or flat for his residence or to make any payment towards the allotment of a plot or flat by the Delhi Development Authority or a State Housing Board or a House Building Co-operative Society.
(2) The Director General may, in special circumstances, sanction the payment to any subscriber of an advance if he is satisfied that the subscriber concerned requires the advance for reasons other than those mentioned in sub-rule (1).
(3) An advance shall not, except for special reasons to be recorded in writing, be granted to any subscriber in excess of the limit laid down in sub-rule (1) or until repayment of the last installment of any previous advance.
(4) When an advance is sanctioned under sub-rule (3) before repayment of last installment of any previous advance is completed, the balance of any previous advance not recovered shall be added to the advance so sanctioned and the installments for recovery shall be fixed with reference to the consolidated amount.
(5) After sanctioning the advance, the amount shall be drawn on an authorization from the accounts officer in cases where the application for final payment had been forwarded to the accounts officer under clause (ii) of sub-rule (3) of rule 25.
Note 1 : For the purpose of this rule pay includes dearness pay, where admissible.
Note 2 : A subscriber shall be permitted to take an advance once in every six months under clause (b) of sub-rule (1) of rule 14.