Advice on Divorce
Advice for Women Getting Divorced
Being a woman, emotions are primary to you. But dealing with divorce means putting aside emotions and thinking logically, step-by-step, about what it will cost you, financially, socially and legally.
· Get Yourself Acquainted – Most women, especially in India, consider marriages to last forever. Believing this, they often leave the financial matters completely and solely in their husband’s hand. This leads to women getting divorced financially insecure. So, get your facts about finances right like income of your husband, tax-payments, loan installments, FD, credit balance and disposition, bank accounts and monthly bills.
· Apart From Income – It is a grave mistake to ignore marital properties, assets like jewellery, car, and insurance policies. They add up in providing financial support when deciding for alimony and child support. Keep track of your husband’s investments in stocks and mutual funds. However, women in India are hardly aware of their rights and are often taken for a ride by their husbands. Indian women should keep tab on all resources, and not feel guilty of spying.
· Ask for Maintenance – While you are preparing for divorce, filing and hiring a lawyer, your funds will burn quicker than you realize. Though you may have support of your family, it is good to ask for maintenance from the court. In India, more than depending on the need of women getting divorced it depends on other factors like how much your husband is willing to co-operate. Indian law however provides for Indian women to be maintained while waiting for divorce.
· Value Your Contribution – It so happens with women that, they often invest not only emotionally in the making of a home but also financially, which goes down the drain once your marriage is on the divorce track. Under the Hindu law, women are entitled to keep all articles, moveable or immoveable, to her after marriage.
· Document Your Communication – It is crucial to jot down the communication of any kind, letters, phone calls, however they enrage you. They can be important to strengthen your case against your husband and especially if it documents any kind of threat or abuse. Indian women have deep-seated respect for their husband and exploiting family name in court is looked down upon by in-laws and society. What Indian women need to keep in mind is that they should worry about themselves rather than a family who won’t be theirs anymore.
· Being Independent – Most women in India are not working when they are married, either they have never worked or they give up their career for the sake of husband or society or family needs. This is the time for them to re-consider their options of working. Brush up your talents and skills that you think can earn you your bread. Working not only gives financial independence, though it is a major benefit, but also opens up many doors like not worrying about where to live. If your family is supporting you for a while, don’t hesitate to accept but do not become dependent on your father or your brother.
Often women are so blinded by emotions that they neglect the upcoming divorce, even if they sense it, leaving them unprepared and ultimately ruined; financially and emotionally. Your life will be turned upside-down by your divorce, so at least ensure that you are left with enough support to deal with aftermath of divorce.