University Grants Commission Vs. Maharishi Mahesh Yogi Vedic Vishwavidyalaya
[Civil Appeal Nos.1395-1396 of 2017 arising from Special Leave Petition (C) Nos.4003-4004/2017 arising from CC No.24575/2016]
1. Delay condoned.
2. Leave granted.
3. Mr. Mushtaq Ahmad, learned counsel, appears and accepts notice for the sole respondent.
4. In the nature of order we propose to pass in this matter, it may not be proper for this Court at this stage to express anything on the merits of the case.
5. However, suffice it to note that the appellant has approached this Court, aggrieved by a direction issued by the Court to comply with the interim order. Compliance would mean that the appellant/University Grants Commission (UGC) will have to change the status of the respondent/University to a State University. It is submitted by the learned counsel for the appellant that as of now it is shown as a private university.
6. Since the main writ petition is pending consideration before the High Court, having heard the counsel on both the sides, we are of the view that status quo as on today shall be maintained by the parties till the writ petition is disposed of.
7. The appeals are, accordingly, disposed of.
8. We make it clear that we have not considered the merits of the matter.
9. Pending application(s), if any, shall stand disposed of.
10. There shall be no orders as to costs.
.......................J. [KURIAN JOSEPH]
.......................J. [A.M. KHANWILKAR]
FEBRUARY 03, 2017.