The Warehousing (Development and Regulation) Act, 2007
12. Negotiability of warehouse receipts. –
1. The words in a negotiable warehouse receipt limiting its negotiability shall be void.
2. A warehouseman who issues a non-negotiable warehouse receipt shall cause to be plainly marked upon its face the words "non-negotiable" or "not negotiable" in English or in the language in which it is issued.
3. In case of non-compliance of sub-section (2), a holder of the warehouse receipt who purchases it for valuable consideration believing it to be a negotiable warehouse receipt may, at his option, treat the receipt as vesting in him all rights attaching to a negotiable warehouse receipt and imposing upon the warehouseman the same liabilities which he would have incurred had the receipt been a negotiable warehouse receipt and the warehouseman shall be liable accordingly.
4. A negotiable warehouse receipt shall be valid for delivery till the date of expiry of the declared shelf-life of the goods for which it is issued.