The Un-organised Workers Social Security Act, 2008
Chapter III National Social Security Board for Unorganised Workers
5. National Social Security Board. –
1. The Central Government shall, by notification, constitute a National Board to be known as the National Social Security Board to exercise the powers conferred on, and to perform the functions assigned to, it under this Act.
2. The National Board shall consist of the following members, namely: -
a. Union Minister for Labour and Employment-Chairperson, ex officio;
b. the Director General (Labour Welfare)-Member-Secretary, ex officio; and(c) thirty-four members to be nominated by the Central Government, out of whom-
i. seven representing unorganised sector workers;
ii. seven representing employers of unorganised sector;
iii. seven representing eminent persons from civil society;
iv. two representing members from Lok Sabha and one from Rajya Sabha;
v. five representing Central Government Ministries and Departments concerned; and
vi. five representing State Governments.
3. The Chairperson and other members of the Board shall be from amongst persons of eminence in the fields of labour welfare, management, finance, law and administration.
4. The number of persons to be nominated as members from each of the categories specified in clause (c) of sub-section (2), the term of office and other conditions of service of members, the procedure to be followed in the discharge of their functions by, and the manner of filling vacancies among the members of, the National Board shall be such as may be prescribed: Provided that adequate representation shall be given to persons belonging to the Scheduled Castes, the Scheduled Tribes, the Minorities and Women.
5. The term of the National Board shall be three years.
6. The National Board shall meet at least thrice a year, at such time and place and shall observe such rules of procedure relating to the transaction of business at its meetings, as may be prescribed.
7. The members may receive such allowances as may be prescribed for attending the meetings of the National Board.
8. The National Board shall perform the following functions, namely:-
a. recommend to the Central Government suitable schemes for different sections of unorganised workers;
b. advise the Central Government on such matters arising out of the administration of this Act as may be referred to it;
c. monitor such social welfare schemes for unorganised workers as are administered by the Central Government;
d. review the progress of registration and issue of identity cards to the unorganised workers;
e. review the record keeping functions performed at the State level;
f. review the expenditure from the funds under various schemes; and
g. undertake such other functions as are assigned to it by the Central Government from time to time.