The Un-organised Workers Social Security Act, 2008
Chapter V Registration
10. Eligibility for registration and social security benefits. –
1. Every unorganised worker shall be eligible for registration subject to the fulfilment of the following conditions, namely:-
a. he or she shall have completed fourteen years of age; and
b. a self-declaration by him or her confirming that he or she is an unorganised worker.
2. Every eligible unorganised worker shall make an application in the prescribed form to the District Administration for registration.
3. Every unorganised worker shall be registered and issued an identity card by the District Administration which shall be a smart card carrying a unique identification number and shall be portable.
4. If a scheme requires a registered unorganised worker to make a contribution, he or she shall be eligible for social security benefits under the scheme only upon payment of such contribution.
5. Where a scheme requires the Central or State Government to make a contribution, the Central or State Government, as the case may be, shall make the contribution regularly in terms of the scheme.