Right to Fair Compensation and Transparency in Land Acquisition, Rehabilitation and Resettlement Act, 2013
Chapter IV Notification and Acquisition
11. Publication of preliminary notification and power of officers thereupon.
1. Whenever, it appears to the appropriate Government that land in any area is required or likely to be required for any public purpose, a notification (hereinafter referred to as preliminary notification) to that effect along with details of the land to be acquired in rural and urban areas shall be published in the following manner, namely:—
a. in the Official Gazette;
b. in two daily newspapers circulating in the locality of such area of which one shall be in the regional language;
c. in the local language in the Panchayat, Municipality or Municipal Corporation, as the case may be and in the offices of the District Collector, the Sub-divisional Magistrate and the Tehsil;
d. uploaded on the website of the appropriate Government;
e. in the affected areas, in such manner as may be prescribed.
2. Immediately after issuance of the notification under sub-section (1), the concerned Gram Sabha or Sabhas at the village level, municipalities in case of municipal areas and the Autonomous Councils in case of the areas referred to in the Sixth Schedule to the Constitution, shall be informed of the contents of the notification issued under the said sub-section in all cases of land acquisition at a meeting called especially for this purpose.
3. The notification issued under sub-section (1) shall also contain a statement on the nature of the public purpose involved, reasons necessitating the displacement of affected persons, summary of the Social Impact Assessment Report and particulars of the Administrator appointed for the purposes of rehabilitation and resettlement under section 44.
4. No person shall make any transaction or cause any transaction of land specified in the preliminary notification or create any encumbrances on such land from the date of publication of such notification till such time as the proceedings under this Chapter are completed:
Provided that the Collector may, on the application made by the owner of the land so notified, exempt in special circumstances to be recorded in writing, such owner from the operation of this sub-section:
Provided further that any loss or injury suffered by any person due to his willful violation of this provision shall not be made up by the Collector.
5. After issuance of notice under sub-section (1), the Collector shall, before the issue of a declaration under section 20, undertake and complete the exercise of updating of land records as prescribed within a period of two months.