Protection of Plant Varieties and Farmers Rights Act, 2001
17. Compulsory variety denomination.-
1. Every application shall assign a single and distinct denomination to a variety with respect to which he is seeking registration under this Act in accordance with the regulations.
2. The Authority shall, having regard to the provisions of any international convention or treaty to, which India has become a party, make regulations governing the assignment of denomination to a plant variety.
3. Where the denomination assigned to the variety does not satisfy the requirements specified in the regulations, the Registrar may require the applicant to propose another denomination within such time as may be specified by such regulations.
4. Notwithstanding anything contained in the Trade Marks Act, 1999 (47 of 1999), a denomination assigned to a variety shall not be registered as a trade mark under that Act.