Press Council Act, 1965
4.Composition of the Council.-
(1) The Council shall consist of a Chairman and twenty-five other members.
(2) The Chairman shall be a person nominated by the Chief Justice of India.
(3) The other members shall be chosen as follows:-
(a) thirteen members from among the working journalists, of whom not less than six shall be editors of newspapers who do not own or carry on the business of management of newspapers, so however that the number of editors of newspapers published in Indian languages shall not be less than three;
(b) six members from among persons who own or carry on the business of management of newspapers;
(c) three members from among persons having special knowledge or experience in the field of education, science, literature, law or culture;
(d) three members, of whom two shall be from among the members of the House of the People and one from among the members of the Council of States.
(4) The two members to be chosen from among the members of the House of the People shall be nominated by the Speaker thereof and the one to be chosen from among the members of the Council of States shall be nominated by the Chairman thereof; and save as aforesaid, all the other members referred to in sub-section (3) shall be nominated by a Committee consisting of the Chief Justice of India, the Chairman of the Council and a person to be appointed by the President of India, and in making any such nomination, the Committee shall have due regard to the consideration that not more than one person interested in any newspaper or any group of newspapers under the same control or management should be nominated to represent any of the categories referred to in clause (a) or clause (b) of that sub-section.
(5) Before making any nomination under clause (a) or clause (b) or sub-section (3), the Committee referred to in sub-section (4) shall, in the prescribed manner, invite panels of names from all such associations of persons of the categories referred to in the said clause (a) or clause (b) as may be notified in this behalf by the Council and in making any such nomination the Committee shall have due regard to the panels of names forwarded to it:
Provided that, until the Council is established, such associations shall be notified by the Central Government.
(6) Before making any nomination under clause (c) of sub-sections (3), the Committee shall consult such associations or persons as it thinks fit.
(7) The names of persons nominated under this section shall be forwarded to the Central Government and shall be notified by that Government in the Official Gazette, and every appointment so made under this section shall take effect from the date on which it is so notified.