Payment and Settlement Systems Act, 2007
33. Mode of recovery of penalty. –
1. The penalty imposed on the defaulter by the Reserve Bank under section 30 may be recovered by issuing a notice to any person from whom any amount is due to the defaulter, by requiring such person to deduct from the amount payable by him to the defaulter, the amount payable to the Reserve Bank by way of penalty and pay to the Reserve Bank.
2. Save as otherwise provided in this section, every person to whom a notice is issued under this sub-section shall be bound to comply with such notice, and, in particular, where such notice is issued to a post office, bank or an insurer, it shall not be necessary for any passbook, deposit receipt, policy or any other document to be produced for the purpose of any entry, endorsement or the like being made before payment is made notwithstanding that any rule, practice or requirement to the contrary.
3. Any claim respecting any property in relation to which a notice under this sub-section has been issued arising after the date of the notice shall be void as against any demand contained in the notice.
4. Where a person to whom the notice under this sub-section is sent objects to it by a statement on oath that the sum demanded or any part thereof is not due to the defaulter or that he does not hold any money for or on account of the defaulter, then, nothing contained in this sub-section shall be deemed to require such person to pay any such sum or part thereof, as the case may be, but if it is discovered that such statement was false in any material particular, such person shall be personally liable to the Reserve Bank to the extent of his own liability to the defaulter on the date of the notice, or to the extent of the penalty imposed on the defaulter by the Reserve Bank, whichever is less.
5. The Reserve Bank may at any time or from time to time, amend or revoke any notice issued under this section or extend the time for making the payment in pursuance of such notice.
6. The Reserve Bank shall grant a receipt for any amount paid to it in compliance with a notice issued under this section and the person so paying shall be fully discharged from his liability to the defaulter to the extent of the amount so paid.
7. Any person discharging any liability to the defaulter after the receipt of a notice under this section shall be personally liable to the Reserve Bank to the extent of his own liability to the defaulter so discharged or to the extent of the penalty imposed on the defaulter by the Reserve Bank, whichever is less.
8. If the person to whom the notice under this section is sent fails to make payment in pursuance thereof to the Reserve Bank, he shall be deemed to be the defaulter in respect of the amount specified in the notice and further proceedings may be taken against him for the realisation of the amount as if it were an arrear due from him in the manner provided in this section.
Explanation.- For the purposes of this section, "defaulter" means any person or system provider or system participant on whom the Reserve Bank has imposed a penalty under section 30.