Payment and Settlement Systems Act, 2007
Chapter II: Designated Authority and Its Committee
3. Designated authority and its Committee.-
1. The Reserve Bank shall be the designated authority for the regulation and supervision of payment systems under this Act.
2. The Reserve Bank may, for the purposes of exercising the powers and performing the functions and discharging the duties conferred on it by or under this Act, by regulation, constitute a committee of its Central Board to be known as the Board for Regulation and Supervision of Payment and Settlement Systems.
3. The Board constituted under sub-section (2) shall consist of the following members, namely:- (a) Governor, Reserve Bank, who shall be the Chairperson of the Board; (b) Deputy Governors, Reserve Bank, out of whom the Deputy Governor who is in-charge of the Payment and Settlement Systems, shall be the Vice-Chairperson of the Board; (c) Not exceeding three Directors from the Central Board of the Reserve Bank of India to be nominated by the Governor, Reserve Bank.
4. The powers and functions of the Board constituted under sub-section (2), the time and venue of its meetings, the procedure to be followed in such meetings, (including the quorum at such meetings) and other matters incidental thereto shall be such as may be prescribed.
5. The Board for Regulation and Supervision of Payment and Settlement Systems constituted under clause (i) of sub-section (2) of section 58 of the Reserve Bank of India Act, 1934 shall be deemed to be the Board constituted under this section and continue accordingly until the Board is reconstituted in accordance with the provisions of this Act and shall be governed by the rules and regulations made under the Reserve Bank of India Act, 1934 in so far as they are not inconsistent with the provisions of this Act.