National Food Security Act, 2013
OBLIGATIONS OF STATE GOVERNMENT FOR FOOD SECURITY
24. Implementation and monitoring of schemes for ensuring food security.
1. The State Government shall be responsible for implementation and monitoring of the schemes of various Ministries and Departments of the Central Government in accordance with guidelines issued by the Central Government for each scheme, and their own schemes, for ensuring food security to the targeted beneficiaries in their State.
2. Under the Targeted Public Distribution System, it shall be the duty of the State Government to—
a. take delivery of food-grains from the designated depots of the Central Government in the State, at the prices specified in Schedule I, organise intra-State allocations for delivery of the allocated food-grains through their authorised agencies at the door-step of each fair price shop; and
b. ensure actual delivery or supply of the food-grains to the entitled persons at the prices specified in Schedule I.
3. For foodgrain requirements in respect of entitlements under sections 4, 5 and section 6, it shall be the responsibility of the State Government to take delivery of food-grains from the designated depots of the Central Government in the State, at the prices specified in Schedule I for persons belonging to eligible households and ensure actual delivery of entitled benefits, as specified in the aforesaid sections.
4. In case of non-supply of the entitled quantities of food-grains or meals to entitled persons under Chapter II, the State Government shall be responsible for payment of food security allowance specified in section 8.
5. For efficient operations of the Targeted Public Distribution System, every State Government shall,—
a. create and maintain scientific storage facilities at the State, District and Block levels, being sufficient to accommodate food-grains required under the Targeted Public Distribution System and other food based welfare schemes;
b. suitably strengthen capacities of their Food and Civil Supplies Corporations and other designated agencies;
c. establish institutionalised licensing arrangements for fair price shops in accordance with the relevant provisions of the Public Distribution System (Control) Order, 2001 made under the Essential Commodities Act, 1955, as amended from time to time.