National Food Security Act, 2013
Obligations of Central Government for Food Security
22. Central Government to allocate required quantity of food-grains from central pool to State Governments.
1. The Central Government shall, for ensuring the regular supply of food-grains to persons belonging to eligible households, allocate from the central pool the required quantity of food-grains to the State Governments under the Targeted Public Distribution System, as per the entitlements under section 3 and at prices specified in Schedule I.
2. The Central Government shall allocate food-grains in accordance with the number of persons belonging to the eligible households identified in each State under section 10.
3. The Central Government shall provide food-grains in respect of entitlements under sections 4, 5 and section 6, to the State Governments, at prices specified for the persons belonging to eligible households in Schedule I.
4. Without prejudice to sub-section (1), the Central Government shall,—
a. procure food-grains for the central pool through its own agencies and the State Governments and their agencies;
b. allocate food-grains to the States;
c. provide for transportation of food-grains, as per allocation, to the depots designated by the Central Government in each State;
d. provide assistance to the State Government in meeting the expenditure incurred by it towards intra-State movement, handling of food-grains and margins paid to fair price shop dealers, in accordance with such norms and manner as may be prescribed by the Central Government; and
e. create and maintain required modern and scientific storage facilities at various levels.