Multi-State Cooperative Societies Act, 1984
Chapter VII: Audit, Inquiry, Inspection and Surcharge
1. The Central Registrar shall audit, or cause to be audited by a person authorised by him by general or special order in writing in this behalf, the accounts of every multi-State cooperative society at least once in each year.
2. The audit under sub-section (1) shall include an examination of overdue debts, if any, the verification of the cash balance and securities, and a valuation of the assets and liabilities of the multi-State cooperative society.
3. The person auditing the accounts of a multi-State cooperative society shall have free access to the books, accounts, papers, vouchers, stock and other property of such society and shall be allowed to verify its cash balance and securities.
4. The directors, managers, administrators and other officers of the multi-State cooperative society shall furnish to the person auditing the accounts of the society all such information as to its transactions and working as such person may require.
5. The Central Registrar or the person authorised by him under sub-section (1) to audit the accounts of a multi-State cooperative society shall have power, where necessary -
a. to summon at the time of the audit any officer, agent, servant or member of the society, past or present, who, he has reason to believe can give valuable information in regard to transactions of the society or the management of its affairs; and
b. to require the production of any book or document relating to the affairs or, any cash or securities belonging to, the society by any officer, agent, servant, or member of the society in possession of such books, documents, cash or securities and in the event of serious irregularities discovered during audit, to take them into custody.
6. If at the time of audit the accounts of a multi-State cooperative society are not complete, the Central Registrar or the person authorised by him under sub-section (1) to audit may cause the accounts to be written up at the expense of the society.
7. Audit fee, if any, due from any multi-State cooperative society shall be determined by the Central Registrar and shall be recoverable in the same manner as is provided in section 89.