Maharashtra Rent Control Act, 1999
48. Section 19 to apply with modification.
(1) In respect of recovery of possession by a landlord referred to in clause (b), or (c) of section 41 in pursuance of an order of the Competent Authority, the provisions of section 18 shall apply as if, for sub-section (1) and (2) thereof, the following sub-sections had been substituted, namely :-
(1) Where a landlord, being the landlord referred to in clause (b) of section 41 who has obtained possession of the premises in pursuance of any order passed by the Competent Authority, does not occupy the premises or re-lets either the whole or any part of the premises, within two years from the date such landlord recovers possession, to any person other than the evicted tenant, the Competent Authority may, on the application of the evicted tenant, made within twenty-five months of such date, order the landlord or any other person claiming under him to place the evicted tenant in occupation of the premises on the original terms and conditions, and on such order being made the landlord or such person who may be in occupation of the premises shall give vacant possession to the evicted tenant.
(2) Any such landlord who keeps such premises unoccupied or re-lets the same as aforesaid and any such landlord or other person in occupation of the premises who fails to comply with order of the Competent Authority under sub-section (1), shall, on conviction, be punishable with imprisonment for a term which may extend to three months or with fine or with both."
(3) Nothing in section 20 shall apply to a landlord referred to in clause (c) of section 41.