The Legal Metrology Act, 2009
Chapter IV: Verification and Stamping of Weight or Measure
24. Verification and stamping of weight or measure.-
1. Every person having any weight or measure in his possession, custody or control in circumstances indicating that such weight or measure is being, or is intended or is likely to be, used by him in any transaction or for protection, shall, before putting such weight or measure into such use, have such weight or measure verified at such place and during such hours as the Controller may, by general or special order, specify in this behalf, on payment of such fees as may be prescribed.
2. The Central Government may prescribe the kinds of weights and measures for which the verification is to be done through the Government approved Test Centre.
3. The Government approved Test Centre shall be notified by the Central Government or the State Government, as the case may be, in such manner, on such terms and conditions and on payment of such fee as may be prescribed.
4. The Government approved Test Centre shall appoint or engage persons having such qualifications and experience and collect such fee on such terms and conditions for the verification of weights and measures specified under sub-section (2) as may be prescribed.