Land Ports Authority of India Act, 2010
Chapter II The Land Ports Authority of India
Section 3: Constitution of Authority
1. With effect from such date as the Central Government may, by notification in the Official Gazette, appoint, there shall be constituted an Authority to be known as the Land Ports Authority of India.
2. The Authority shall be a body corporate by the name aforesaid, having perpetual succession and a common seal, with power, subject to the provisions of this Act, to acquire, hold and dispose of property both movable and immovable, and to contract and shall by the said name sue and be sued.
3. The Authority shall consist of--
a. a Chairperson;
b. two Members, out of whom one shall be Member (Planning and Development) and other shall be Member (Finance);
c. not more than nine members, ex officio, to be appointed by the Central Government from amongst the officers, not below the rank of the Joint Secretary to the Government of India, representing the ministries or departments of the Government of India dealing with Home Affairs, External Affairs, Revenue, Commerce, Road Transport and Highways, Railways, Defence, Agriculture and Cooperation, Law and Justice;
d. the Chief Secretary or his nominee not below the rank of the Secretary to the Government of the respective State where the integrated check posts are located;
e. two representatives, one of whom shall be from recognised bodies of workers and the other shall be from traders, to be appointed by the Central Government; and
f. such other representatives as the Central Government may co-opt for functional purposes.
4. The Chairperson and the members referred to in clause (b) shall be appointed by the Central Government and shall be whole-time members.
5. The Chairperson shall be chosen from among persons who have special knowledge and experience in the field of security, transport, industry, commerce, law, finance or public administration.