Indian Ports Act, 1908
7. Appointment of conservator
(1) The 2[Government] shall appoint some officer or body of persons to be conservator of every part subject to this Act.
(2) Subject to any direction by the 20[Government] to the contrary,-
(a) in ports where there is a port-officer, the port-officer shall be the conservator;
(b) in ports where there is no port-officer, but where there is a harbor-master, the harbor master shall be the conservator.
(3) Whom the, harbor-master is not conservator, the harbor-master and his assistants shall be subordinate to, and subject to the control of, the conservator.
(4) The conservator shall be subject to the control of the 2[Government], or of any intermediate authority which 23[the Government] may appoint.