Geographical Indications of Goods (Registration and Protection) Act, 1999
6. Register of Geographical Indications.-
1. For the purpose of this Act, a record called the Register of geographical indications shall be kept at the Head office of the Geographical Indications Registry, wherein shall be entered all registered geographical indications with the names, addresses and descriptions of the proprietors, the names, addressees and descriptions of authorised users and such other matters relating to registered geographical indications as may be prescribed and such registers may be maintained wholly or partly on computer.
2. Notwithstanding any thing contained in sub-section (1) it shall be lawful for the Registrar to keep the records wholly or partly in computer floppies or diskettes or in any other electronic form, subject to such safeguards as may be prescribed.
3. Where such register is maintained wholly or partly in computer floppies or diskettes or in any other electronic form under sub-section (2), any reference in this Act to any entry in the register shall be construed as the reference to the entry in the register shall be construed as the reference to the entry as maintained in the computer floppies or diskettes or in any other electronic form, as the case may be.
4. No notice of any trust, express or implied or constructive, shall be entered in the register and no such notice shall be receivable by the Registrar.
5. Subject to the superintendence and direction of the Central Government the register shall be kept under the control and management of the Registrar.
6. There shall be kept at each branch office of the Geographical Indication Registry a copy of the register and such other documents mentioned in Section 78 as the Central Government may, by notification in the Official Gazette, direct.