Delhi Rent Control Act, 1958
9. Controller to fix standard rent, etc. –
(1) The Controller shall, on an application made to him in this behalf, either by the landlord or by the tenant, in the prescribed manner, fix in respect of any premises-
(i) The standard rent referred to in section 6; or
(ii) The increase, if any, referred to in section7.
(2) In fixing the standard rent of any premises of the lawful increase thereof, the Controller shall fix an amount which appears to him to be reasonable having regard to the provisions of section 6 or section 7 and the circumstances of the case:
[(Note: Ins. by Act 57 of 1988, sec.6 (w.e.f. 1-12-1988) Provided that in working out the cost of construction of any premises or the market price of the land comprised in such premises for the purpose of section 6, or the cost of improvement, addition or alteration referred to in section 7, the Controller may take the assistance of any valuer approved by the Central Government in accordance with such rules as may be prescribed and the assessment shall be made by such valuer in the manner prescribed.]
(3) In fixing the standard rent of any premises part of which has been lawfully sub-let, the Controller may also fix the standard rent of the part sub-let.
(4) Where for any reason it is not possible to determine the standard rent of any premises on the principles set forth under section 6, the Controller may fix such rent as would be reasonable having regard to the situation, locality and condition of the premises and the amenities provided therein and where there are similar or nearly similar premises in the locality, having regard also to the standard rent payable in respect of such premises.
(5) The standard rent shall in all cases be fixed for a tenancy of twelve months:
Provided that where any premises are let or re-let for a period of less than twelve months, the standard rent for such tenancy shall bear the same proportion to the annual standard rent as the period of tenancy bears to twelve months.
(6) In fixing the standard rent of any premises under this section, the Controller shall fix the standard rent thereof in an unfurnished state and may also determine an additional charge to be payable on account of any fittings or furniture supplied by the landlord and it shall be lawful for the landlord to recover such additional charge from the tenant.
(7) In fixing the standard rent of any premises under this section, the Controller shall specify a date from which the standard rent so fixed shall be deemed to have effect:
Provided that in no case the date so specified shall be earlier than one year prior of the date of the filing of the application for the fixation of the standard rent.