Control of National Highways (Land and Traffic) Act, 2002
24. Prevention of occupation of highway land.-
1. No person shall occupy any highway land or discharge any material through drain on such land without obtaining prior permission, for such purpose in writing, of the Highway Administration or any officer a thorised by such Administration in this behalf.
2. The Highway Administration or the officer authorised under sub-section (1) may, on an application made by a person in this behalf and having regard to the safety and convenience of traffic, grant permission to such person-
i. to place a movable structure on the Highway in front of any building owned by him or to make a movable structure on support of such building and over the Highway, or
ii. to put up a temporary lawning or tent or other similar construction or a temporary stall or scaffolding on the Highway, or
iii. to deposit or cause to be deposited, building materials, goods, for sale or other articles on any Highway, or (iv) to make a temporary excavation for carrying out any repairs or improvements to adjoining buildings, and such permission shall be granted subject to the conditions and on payment of the rent and other charges by issuing permit in the form as may be prescribed: Provided that no such permission shall be valid beyond a period of one month at a time from the date on which the permission has been granted unless it is renewed by the Highway Administration or such officer on an application made by such person for the renewal of the permission.
3. The permission granted under sub-section (2) shall specify therein-
i. the time up to which the permission is granted;
ii. the purpose of such permission;
iii. the portion of the Highway in respect of which the permission has been granted, and shall be accompanied with a plan or sketch of such portion of Highway.
4. The person, to whom the permit has been issued under sub-section (2), shall produce the permit for inspection whenever called upon to do so by any officer of the Highway Administration and shall, on the expiry of the permission granted under such per it, restore the portion of the Highway specified in the permit in such condition as it was immediately before the issuing of such permit and deliver the possession of such portion to the Highway Administration.
5. The Highway Administration or the officer issuing the permit under sub-section (2) shall maintain a complete record of all such permits issued, and shall also ensure in every case at the expiration of the period up to which the permission under a per it is granted under that sub-section that the possession of the portion of the Highway in respect of which such permission was granted has been delivered to the Highway Administration.