Company Secretaries Act, 1980
Entry of Names in the Register
(1) Any of the following persons shall be
entitled to have his name entered in the Register, namely :
(a) any person who immediately before the commencement of this Act was an Associate or a Fellow (including an Honorary Fellow) of the dissolved company;
(b) any person who is a holder of the Diploma in Company Secretary ship awarded by the Government of India;
(c) any person who has passed the examinations conducted by the dissolved company and has completed training either as specified by the dissolved company or as prescribed by the Council, except any such person who is not a permanent resident of India;
(d) any person who has passed such examination and completed such training, as may be prescribed for membership of the Institute;
(e) any person who has
passed such other examination and completed such other training without
Provided that in the case of any person
belonging to any of the classes mentioned in this sub-section who is not
permanently residing in
(2) Every person belonging to the class mentioned in clause (a) or clause (b) of sub-section (1) shall have his name entered in the Register without the payment of any entrance fee.
(3) Every person belonging to any of the classes mentioned in clauses (c), (d) and (e) of sub-section (1) shall have his name entered in the Register on application being made and granted in the prescribed manner and on payment of prescribed entrance fee, which shall not exceed four hundred rupees in any case.
(4) The Central Government may take such steps as may be necessary for the purpose of having the names of all persons belonging to the classes mentioned in clauses (a) and (b) of sub-section (1) entered in the Register at the commencement of this Act.
(5) Notwithstanding anything contained in this section, the Council may confer on any person Honorary Fellow Membership, if the Council is of the opinion that such person has made a significant contribution to the profession of Company Secretaries and thereupon the Council shall enter the name of such person in the Register but such person shall not have any voting rights in any election or meetings of the Institute and shall not also be required to pay any fee to the Institute.