Companies Act, 1956
Sec 615 - Power of Central Government to direct companies to furnish information or statistics.
(1) The Central Government may, by order, require companies generally, or any class of companies, or any company, to furnish such information or statistics with regard to their or its constitution or working, and within such time, as may be specified in the order.
(a) Every order under sub-section (1) addressed to companies generally or to any class of companies, shall be published in the Official Gazette and in such other manner, if any, as the Central Government may think fit.
(b) The date of publication of the order in the Official Gazette shall be deemed to be the date on which the demand for information or statistics is made on such companies or class of companies, as the case may be.
(3) Every order under sub-section (1) addressed to an individual company shall be served on it in the manner laid down in section 51.
(4) For the purpose of satisfying itself that any information or statistics furnished by a company in pursuance of any order under sub-section (1) is correct and complete, the Central Government may require such company
(a) to produce such records or documents in its possession or under its control for inspection, before such officer and at such time as may be specified by the Central Government ; or
(b) to furnish such further information as may be specified by the Central Government and within such time as may be fixed by it.
(5) The Central Government may also, by order, direct an inquiry to be made by any person or persons named in the order
(a) for the purpose of obtaining any information or statistics which a company has failed to furnish as required of it by an order under sub-section (1) ; or
(b) for the purpose of satisfying itself that any information or statistics furnished by a company in pursuance of an order made under sub-section (1) is correct and complete ; and in so far as such information or statistics may be found to be incorrect or incomplete, for the purpose of obtaining such information or statistics as may be necessary to make the information or statistics furnished correct and complete ;
and a person or persons so appointed shall, for the purposes of such inquiry, have such powers as may be prescribed.
(6) If any company fails to comply with an order made under sub-section (1) or (4), or knowingly furnishes any information or statistics which is incorrect or incomplete in any material respect, the company, and every officer thereof who is in default, shall be punishable with imprisonment which may extend to three months, or with fine which may extend to ten thousand rupees, or with both.
(7) An order requiring any information or statistics to be furnished by a company may also be addressed to any person who is, or has at any time been, an officer or employee of the company, and all the provisions of this section, so far as may be, shall apply in relation to such persons as they apply in relation to the company :
Provided that no such person shall be punishable under sub-section (6) unless the Court is satisfied that he was in a position to comply with the order and made willful default in doing so.
(8) Where a body corporate incorporated outside India and having established an office within India, carries on business in India, all references to a company in this section shall be deemed to include references to the body corporate in relation, and only in relation, to such business.