Companies Act, 1956
Sec 174 - Quorum for meeting.
(1) Unless the articles of the company provide for a large number, five members personally present in the case of public company (other than a public company which has become such by virtue of section 43A), and two members personally present in the case of any other company, shall be the quorum for a meeting of the company.
(2) Unless the articles of the company otherwise provide, the provisions of sub-sections (3), (4) and (5) shall apply with respect to the meetings of a public or private company.
(3) If within half an hour from the time appointed for holding a meeting of a company, a quorum is not present, the meeting, if called upon the requisition of members, shall stand dissolved.
(4) In any other case, the meeting shall stand adjourned to the same day in the next week, at the same time and place, or to such other day and at such other time and place as the Board may determine.
(5) If at the adjourned meeting also, a quorum is not present within half an hour from the time appointed for holding the meeting, the members present shall be a quorum.