The Bureau of Indian Standards Act, 2016
Chapter II Bureau of Indian Standards
3. Establishment of Bureau and Constitution of Governing Council.
- With effect from such date as the Central Government may, by notification in the Official Gazette, appoint in this behalf, there shall be established a national body for the purposes of this Act, a Bureau, to be called the Bureau of Indian Standards.
- The Bureau shall be a body corporate by the name aforesaid, having perpetual succession and a common seal, with power, subject to the provisions of this Act, to acquire, hold and dispose of property, both movable and immovable, and to contract and shall by the said name sue and be sued.
- The members of the Governing Council shall constitute the Bureau and general superintendence, direction and management of the affairs of the Bureau shall vest in the Governing Council, which shall consist of the following members, namely:-
- the Minister in-charge of the Ministry or Department of the Central Government having administrative control of the Bureau who shall be ex officio President of the Bureau;
- the Minister of State or a Deputy Minister, if any, in the Ministry or Department of the Central Government having administrative control of the Bureau who shall be ex officio Vice-President of the Bureau, and where there is no such Minister of State or Deputy Minister, such person as may be nominated by the Central Government to be the Vice-President of the Bureau;
- the Secretary to the Government of India of the Ministry or Department of the Central Government having administrative control of the Bureau, ex officio;
- the Director General of the Bureau, ex officio;
- such number of other persons to represent the Government, industry, scientific and research institutions, consumers and other interests, as may be prescribed, to be appointed by the Central Government.