The Bureau of Indian Standards Act, 2016
18. Obligations of licence holder, seller, etc.
- The licence holder shall, at all times, remain responsible for conformance of the goods, articles, processes, systems or services carrying the Standard Mark.
- It shall be the responsibility of the distributor or the seller, as the case may be, to ensure that goods, articles, processes, systems or services carrying the Standard Mark are purchased from certified body or licence holder.
- It shall be the responsibility of the seller before the goods or article is sold or offered to be sold or exhibited or offered for sale to ensure that-
- goods, articles, processes, systems or services carrying the Standard Mark bear the requisite labels and marking details, as specified by the Bureau from time to time;
- the marking and labelling requirements on the product or covering is displayed in a manner that has been specified by the Bureau.
- The Bureau may make such inspection and take such samples of any material or substance as may be necessary to see whether any goods, article, process, system or service, in relation to which a Standard Mark has been used, conforms to the requirements of the relevant standard or whether the Standard Mark has been properly used in relation to any goods, article, process, system or service with or without a licence.
- The Bureau may publicise the results of its findings and the directions given in pursuance thereof.
- repair or replace or reprocess the standard marked goods, article, process, system or service in a manner as may be specified; or
- pay compensation to the consumer as may be prescribed by the Bureau; or
- be liable for the injury caused by non-conforming goods or article, which bears a Standard Mark, as per the provisions of section 31.