The Bureau of Indian Standards Act, 2016
13. Grant of licence or certificate of conformity.
1. A person may apply for grant of licence or certificate of conformity, as the case may be, if the goods, article, process, system or service conforms to an Indian Standard.
2. Where any goods, article, process, system or service conforms to a standard, the Director General may, by an order, grant—
a. a certificate of conformity in a manner as may be specified by regulations; or
b. a licence to use or apply a Standard Mark in a manner as may be specified by regulations, subject to such conditions and on payment of such fees, including late fee or fine, before or during the operation of the certificate of conformity or licence, and as determined by regulations.
3. While granting a certificate of conformity or licence to use a Standard Mark, the Bureau may, by order, specify the marking and labelling requirements that shall necessarily be affixed as may be specified from time to time.
4. The Bureau may establish, maintain or recognise testing laboratories for the purposes of conformity assessment and quality assurance and for such other purposes as may be required for carrying out its functions.