Black Money (Undisclosed Foreign Income and Assets) and Imposition of Tax Act, 2015
17. Powers of Commissioner (Appeals).
1. In disposing of an appeal, the Commissioner (Appeals) shall have the following powers, namely:—
a. in an appeal against an order of assessment, he may confirm, reduce, enhance or annul the assessment;
b. in an appeal against an order imposing a penalty, he may confirm or cancel such order;
c. in any other case, he may determine the issues arising in the appeal and pass such orders thereon, as he thinks fit.
2. The Commissioner (Appeals) may consider and decide any matter which was not considered by the Assessing Officer.
3. The Commissioner (Appeals) shall not enhance an assessment or a penalty unless the appellant has been given an opportunity of being heard.
4. In disposing of an appeal, the Commissioner (Appeals) may consider and decide any matter arising out of the proceedings in which the order appealed against was passed, notwithstanding that such matter was not raised before him by the appellant.