|Status Of College:||Bar Council Approved|
|College Facilities:||Training for Participation in Family Court, Legal Aid Clinic, Library,|
Surendranath Banerjea needs no introduction as a Great Patriot, political leader,orator, teacher, educationist, journalist;his place in history is secured.He is the founder of the institution and his noble idea of bringing higher education within the reach of the widest possible parts of society is still being followed faithfully.In 1882,the Presidency School which formed the nuclear of the present Institution was made over to Surendranath.1st January 1884, he raised it to the status ofa college affiliated to the F.A.standard and named it“THE PRESIDENCY INSTITUTION”.Within the year the institution was converted into a full fledged, first grade college under the name “RIPON COLLEGE”.Its activity was further extended through the opening of the PostGraduate Department of Law in 1884 and subsequently affiliated to the Calcutta University in the year 1885 as an independent professional college. Since then as long as he lived, Surendranath not only remained at the helm of affairs but was also active as a teacher.Surendranath attached the name of LordRipon to his Institution as a tribute to the enlightened policies of the Viceroy.But after the attainment of independence, a goal very dear to the heart of Surendranath, a change was made and the name of Surendranath was associated with the institution founded and lovingly nurtured by him.This esteemed Law Collge is now regarded as one of the oldest Law Colleges of the country.The students of the College include Dr.Rajendra Prosad, the first president of India, Harendra Kumar Mukherjee, the first Governor of West Bengal, Justice Bijan Kumar Mukherjee,the first Chief Justice of the Supreme Court of India and many other luminaries and eminent persons.Rastraguru Surendranath Banerjea founded this college in the heart of the City close to Sealdah Station; considering movement and transport facilities of students coming from different parts of the city and suburbs and particularly the downtrodden community. The address was 60, Mirzapur Street.Now it is at 24/2, Mahatma Gandhi Road, Calcutta – 700 009.