GNLU - Post Graduate Diploma in Contract Drafting and Legal Writing
This programme is dedicated for the Indian audience. Contract drafting is the most important skill that a lawyer should have in today's day and age. Contracts are very vital for any long term business relationship. An excellent written contract always fills an organization with tremendous confidence in dealing with business relationships. All corporate professionals, business managers, lawyers, law students, entrepreneurs need to understand the nuances of a legal contract and should also know how to write a good contract.
This one year "Post Graduate Diploma in Contract Drafting and Legal Writing" looks at contract drafting in a completely different light. Practicing lawyers whose main job is to draft contracts on a daily basis, would be teaching this programme.
- To provide excellent writing skills sets for drafting robust contracts
- To help participants understand contract terms - including interpretation
- To understand contracts in the context of business law
- To provide negotiation skills for writing contracts
Benefits to Students / Faculty:
- Better corporate lawyers
- Enhance drafting skills
- Understand the practical aspects of contract drafting
The duration of the Diploma Course is one year
Any student who is pursuing or has finished an undergraduate degree in any discipline including law, business management, etc
- Any professional is also eligible for applying to this course
- Documents required: 10th Class pass-certificate,12th Class mark-sheet, Undergraduate certificate (if applicable), Post graduate certificate (if applicable)
Salient Features of this unique programme:
- Online lectures that are recorded for future access to all enrolled students
- Course developed by learned academicians and practicing lawyers
- Study at your own pace
- Audio Video Presentations along with Electronic material, which can be printed for references
- Focus on real life case study examples
- Continuous access to mentors and career counseling advice
- Only 2 days - On campus physical interaction with GNLU faculty, skills trainers and practicing lawyers (This will take place either in November, 2018 / December, 2018 / January, 2019 - Days are flexible, Several options will be provided)
- Get a chance to meet and interact with the experts and network among lawyers
- On campus boarding and lodging facility will be provided to all students
- University Identity cards to all registered diploma students
- Learn everything on the go - online
- Practical oriented evaluation - 2 MCQ tests and a few assignments / case studies
- Animated presentations on important topics
- Response time to queries - Less than 12 hours
- Mentor monitored training programmes available to all
- Module 1: Structure and style of Legal Writing
- Legal letters, emails, memoranda and opinions
- Components of legal communications
- Plain English
- Content organisation
- Effective language style
- Paper advocacy
- Module 2: Pre-contract Negotiations
- Negotiating skills, styles and tactics
- Preparing to negotiate
- Models of negotiation
- Negotiation process
- Module 3: Understanding Contract Purpose and Form
- The Legal meaning of "Contract"
- Contract- A promise or a bargain?
- Contractual relationship
- Forms of Contract
- Contractual terms or terms of a Contract
- Read, write and understand Contract
- Module 4; Drafting a Contract
- What to include?
- Checklist for preparing Contracts
- Best drafting practices
- Module 5: Breach of Contract
- What is breach of Contract?
- What are the remedies for breach of Contract?
- When does the doctrine of unjust enrichment operate?
- What is doctrine of restitution?
- What are the different kinds of damages granted?
- The difference in the concept of damages as understood under Contract and Torts
- When is specific performance granted?
- Module 6: Preliminary Agreement Forms
- Memorandum of understanding
- Letter of intent
- Term sheet
- Authority to proceed
- Scope of work
- NDA / Confidentiality Agreement
- Subject to Contract
Rs. 19,500/- for Indian Students
Note: Candidates applying for the course are instructed to verify eligibility criteria before registering for the course. Admission of ineligible candidates shall be cancelled and Rs. 200/- shall be deducted from the fees paid before processing refund.
The last date for registration is 31st January, 2018
Gujarat National Law University
Attalika Avenue, Knowledge Corridor, Koba
Gandhinagar - 382007, Gujarat
Phone: +91-79-23276611, +91-79-23276612
Fax: +917878186624, +91-79-23276613