National Seminar on "Surrogacy" - A need to understand Ethical, Legal & Socio-Economic Issues
University Five Year Law College, University of Rajasthan is going to organize the National Seminar on "Surrogacy" - A need to understand Ethical, Legal & Socio-Economic Issues
Date: 17th September, 2016
Venue: University Five Year Law College, University of Rajasthan
According to the Assisted Reproductive Technology (Regulation) Bill and Rules 2013, "Surrogacy", means an arrangement in which a woman agrees to a pregnancy, achieved through assisted reproductive technology, in which neither of the gametes belong to her or her husband, with the intention to carry it and hand over the child to the person or persons for whom she is acting as a surrogate.
Most medical studies point towards the concern for the surrogate's psychological and emotional health, especially postpartum and during relinquishing the child, studies suggests that without counseling, surrogacy should be treated as a 'high-risk psychological experience'.
The Indian Council for Medical Research has given guidelines in the year 2005 regulating Assisted Reproductive Technology procedures. The Law Commission of India submitted the 228th report on Assisted Reproductive Technology procedures discussing the importance and need for surrogacy, and also the steps taken to control surrogacy arrangements.
The Supreme Court of Indian in the 2008 Manji case held that commercial surrogacy was permissible in India. Baby Manji was commissioned by Japanese parents born to a Gujarati women, but parents divorced before the birth of child. The genetic father wanted the child's custody, but Indian law barred single men from it, and Japanese law didn't recognize surrogacy. The baby was ultimately granted a visa, but the case underscored the need for a regulatory framework for surrogacy in India. This was the genesis of the Assisted Reproductive Techniques (Regulation) Bill.
Thus, the need of hour is to regulate the surrogacy laws, identifying rights and keeping in view the emotional and psychological aspects of a surrogate mother.
- The religion and surrogacy: Immoral and Unethical
- Surrogacy Contracts and their Validity
- Surrogacy: the only hope for a few
- Surrogacy - Society - Hypocrisy
- The Paternal Mother Vs. The Surrogate Mother
- International Commercial Surrogacy Laws
- Surrogate Mother- Health and Implications
- Psychological Exploitation in Transnational Surrogacy
- Commercial Surrogacy: Disguised Exploitation
- Surrogates: Future in desolate
- Surrogacy Act :The need of the hour
- Comparative Study on Surrogacy Laws around the world
Call for Papers:
- The word limit for Abstract is 500 words and for full paper it is 3000 words.
- The selected participants will be submitting their paper in soft copy of not more than 3000 words by 10th September, 2016.
- The submitted papers will be checked for plagiarism and the work submitted should be of original nature and not a work published anywhere else before.
- The Participants are required to bring three hard copy of the paper on the day of Seminar.
- The selected papers will be published in the 4th Rajasthan Journal of Juridical Science.
- Citation should be uniform for the entire paper.
- The decision of panel of judges regarding publication shall be final.
- Co-Author is allowed.
- Registration Fee is to be submitted after selection of Abstract.
- Author: Rs. 500/-
- Co-Author: Rs. 1,000/-
- Author: Rs.700/-
- Co-Author: Rs.1,400/-
The Demand Draft should be drawn in favor of: "Director FYLC U.O.R" payable at Jaipur. The address for sending the Demand Draft is:
University Five Year Law College,
University of Rajasthan,
JLN Marg, Jaipur
5th September, 2016
Participants will be informed about the selection Abstract by:
8th September, 2016
Paper Submission in soft copy:
10th September, 2016
Mr. Sandeep Singh
Deputy Director, UFYLC
Mr. Ghanshyam Bera
Dr. O.P Siravi
Mr. Abhishek Chayal
Mr. Rajeev Soni
Mr. Tarun Kumar Jonwal
University Five Year Law College
University of Rajasthan,
Jaipur, Rajasthan - 302004
Download Notification, Brochure