GNLU-KCO M&A Drafting Competition
Under the aegis of the GNLU-Khaitan & Co Fellowship in M & A, Gujarat National Law University and Khaitan & Co is pleased to announce the first of its kind, GNLU-Khaitan M & A Drafting Competition for students in India.
The competition will present students with a unique opportunity to advice on a real world commercial transactional scenario. Based on a given a set of facts, students will be required to draft a share purchase agreement ("SPA") and a legal opinion backing the legality and enforceability of the SPA.
The Competition is open only to students pursuing an undergraduate degree in law and currently in the 5th semester or above.
Why should you participate?
- The competition is a distinctive opportunity for you to apply yourselves to transactional drafting and be evaluated by professionals;
- It will train you to appreciate facts and apply the law in a real-world commercial transactional scenario;
- It will give you a first-hand experience of tackling issues involved in M & A transactions;
- The winners shall get an opportunity to take up an internship with Khaitan & Co, one of India's oldest and leading full service law firms; and
- The winners shall receive attractive prize money.
Participants are required to draft:
- A share purchase agreement based on the factual matrix set out Annexure A below (SPA); and
- A legal opinion on the validity and enforceability of the SPA and the transactions contemplated there under.
Only one entry per person is allowed. Co-authorship shall not be accepted.
Manner of Submission:
Please visit the GNLU Khaitan M&A Fellowship Blog (https://gnlukhaitanmandafellowship.wordpress.com/) regularly for submission details and other updates.
The SPA and legal opinion shall each be marked out of a maximum of 100. The SPA and legal opinion carry equal weightage. Entries shall be evaluated on the basis of the below criteria. Each criteria shall carry weightage as set out below:
- Knowledge and application of law (25%);
- Understanding of commercial and legal issues (20%);
- Form, structure and presentation (15%);
- Drafting skills, including clarity, conciseness and expressiveness (20%);
- Ingenuity, including novel approaches to addressing issues and resourcefulness (10%);
- Attention to detail (10%).
- Font: Calibri;
- Font size: 11;
- Line spacing: 1.0;
- Paragraph spacing: 12 pt (after);
- Alignment: Justified.
The last date for submission is 23rd March, 2015 (23:59).
- The best submissions shall be awarded as follows:
- 1st prize: INR 25,000
- 2nd prize: INR 15,000
- 3rd prize: INR 10,000
- The three winners shall also receive an opportunity to intern with Khaitan & Co.
- All valid entries shall be presented with certificates of participation.
- There shall be an additional category for best SPA and legal opinion by a GNLU Student which shall be eligible to win a cash prize of INR 15,000, and an opportunity to intern with Khaitan & Co. If an entry from GNLU receives one of the first three prizes in the open category, then the second best entry from GNLU shall qualify for this.
- The names of the winners will be displayed on the GNLU Khaitan M & A Fellowship Blog (https://gnlukhaitanmandafellowship.wordpress.com/). Winners shall also be intimated separately.
Plagiarism and late submission shall be valid grounds for disqualification of entries.
The decision of the organizers shall be final and binding in all matters of the competition.
Ms. Vedika Mittal
The GNLU - Khaitan & Co. Mergers and Acquisitions Fellowship,
Gujarat National Law University (GNLU),
Attalika Avenue, Knowledge Corridor, Koba,
Gandhinagar - 382 007, Gujarat
Download Notification, Rules and Factual Matrix