ALSD National Legal Essay Competition 2014
Amity Law School, Delhi is pleased to organize a National Legal Essay Competition. The theme of the essay competition is to explore the relationship between human rights & intellectual property.
Long ignored by both the human rights and intellectual property communities, the relationship between these two fields has now captured the attention of government officials, activists, scholars and researchers. The increasing number of social, economic & legal contexts in which both intellectual property and human rights are relevant and are creating new and as yet unsolved conflicts between the two regimes. There are few examples to elaborate on this:
- Countries which are party to WTO must protect pharmaceutical patents; yet they are also required to protect right to life & right to health
- Copyright protection has been granted to copyright owners which is effecting right to education in developing and under-developed countries.
- Plant breeders rights limit what farmers can do on their land, such as whether they can save and exchange seed; yet human rights law provides for right to adequate food.
- Intellectual property rights regime needs to be justifies according to the theory of utilitarianism, social solidarity & social engineering.
Theme of the Essay is "Mapping the Interface of Human Rights & Intellectual Property"
- Right to Education vis-a-vis Copyright Protection
- Right to Health vis-a-vis Patent Protection
- Jurisprudential Relationship between IPR and Human Rights
- Right to Food and Intellectual Property
- The limit of the essay shall not exceed 3500-4500 word (including footnotes)
- The language of the essay shall be English only.
- The essay should not be plagiarized or published earlier. Such a case will result into disqualification.
- The cover page of the submission shall contain the following details only.
- Unique submission Number
- Title of the Essay
- Abstract of the Essay (250 words)
The cover page and/or main body of the essay should not carry any mention of the name, contact details, or the name of the institution.
Co-authorship up to 2 is allowed provided they are from the same institution.
Soft copy is required to be sent at email@example.com. It shall also be required from each person to submit 3 hard copies in a sealed envelope with "ALSD National Legal Essay Competition" mentioned on it on the address mentioned below:
Prof.(Dr.) B.P. Singh Sehgal
Director, Amity Law School, Delhi
(Affiliated to GGSIP University, Delhi)
F-1 Block, Sector 125,
Amity University Campus,
NOIDA - 201303
Registration Fee for the competition is 300 INR is to be sent through Demand Draft in favour of Amity Law School, Delhi.
File name shall consist of author's name/names only.
All entries shall be in MS word format only.
The footnotes shall confirm Bluebook 19th Edition rules of citation.
Essay should be sent on or before 30th June, 2014 along with Registration Form and Demand Draft.
The result for the competition shall be declared on 5th August, 2014.
Both Font type and footnotes shall be in Times New Roman.
- The font size shall be 12, with 1.5 line spacing. The margin of 1 inch should be left on all four sides.
- The footnote font size shall be 10 with line spacing 1.
- Copyright to all the essays sent as entries for this competition shall rest with Amity Law School, Delhi.
- National Legal Essay Committee (NLEC) shall provide soft copies of the Certificates of Participation to all authors via email; anyone desirous of receiving a hard copy of the same should attach a Bank PO/DD of Rs. 100 in favour of "Amity Law School, Delhi" payable at "New Delhi".
- NLEC reserves the absolute right to cancel, defer, or postpone indefinitely, the competition in the event of the accruing of any incident, natural or man-made.
- In case of any dispute, decision of NLEC shall be final & binding.
- The first stage of evaluation consists of plagiarism check on the essays.
- At the second stage, essays will be evaluated by a panel of professors and student representatives of the organizing team. Max. 20 to 30 essays will be shortlisted for the subsequent evaluation.
- Final stage of evaluation will be done by a panel of experts. 3 winners will be selected by the astute judgment of the experts.
- Winner Rs. 10,000
- 1st Runner-Up Rs. 7,500
- 2nd Runner-Up Rs. 5,000
A certificate of Appreciation will be awarded to all the participants.
Ms. Reeta Garg
Ms. Gurpreet Kaur
Amity Law School, Delhi
(Affiliated to GGSIP University, Delhi)
F-1 Block, Sector 125, Amity University
Campus, Noida - 201303
Phone: 0120-4392683, 4392682