Ensayo 2013 - 5th South Asian Essay Writing Competition on International Humanitarian Law
Rajiv Gandhi National University of Law Punjab, in collaboration with the International Committee of Red Cross, proudly welcomes you to "Ensayo - 2013: 5th International Essay Writing Competition on International Humanitarian Law".
The naissance of Ensayo was with the aim to encourage and seek the views regarding varied aspects of International Humanitarian Law from students across South Asia. What started out initially as only a pan-India level competition has today become one of the premier essay writing competitions in the South Asia region.
Moving Beyond the Rhetoric: New Global & Domestic Challenges of Enforcement in International Humanitarian Law
- The essay-writing competition on International Humanitarian Law is open to students from the disciplines of Law, Political Science, Sociology, Psychology, Defense Studies, International Relations, Medical Sciences, Mass Media and Journalism from Afghanistan, Bangladesh, Bhutan, India, Maldives, Myanmar, Nepal, Iran, Pakistan and Sri Lanka.
- Each participant shall be permitted to submit only one individual entry.
- Joint entries shall not be permitted.
- There is no Registration Fee for the competition.
- To participate in the competition, participants must submit their essay along with the filled registration form by 31st October, 2013.
- The Essay should be submitted in MS WORD format only.
- The last date of submission is 31st October, 2013 latest by 23:59 hours Indian Standard Time. Submissions will however be accepted till two days after the last date of submission, with a penalty of 1 mark per day.
- The essay must contain an abstract not exceeding 200 words mentioning the key issues and setting out the main conclusions reached.
- No part of the essay, except the cover page, should contain any form of identification of the participant.
- No hard-copy submission of the essay is to be made.
- The participants may choose to write on any topic within the ambit of the broader theme of the competition i.e.'Moving Beyond the Rhetoric : New Global & Domestic Challenges of Enforcement in IHL '
- Submission must not exceed 3500 words (exclusive of footnotes).
- Violation of the word limit will result in a penalty of 1 mark per 50 words exceeded.
- The essay must include references in the form of footnotes. The Oxford Standard for Citation of Legal Authorities (OSCOLA) should be followed for the citations.
- All submissions must be original and bona fide work of the participants; plagiarism will result in automatic disqualifications.
- The contestants by entering in the competition agree to indemnify the organizers from and against all claims, suits, and damages based on any claim of copyright infringement or plagiarism or unauthorized use.
- All entries shall be considered to be the property of the Center for Advanced Study in International Humanitarian Law (CASH) at Rajiv Gandhi National University of Law, Punjab (India) which reserves the right of publication of the same in any book, journal, or in any other manner as it may deem appropriate, without providing any royalty or compensation.
- The essay should not have been submitted in any other competition and/or for publication whatsoever.
- All the essays should follow the following specifications:
- Font (Text & Footnote): Times New Roman
- Font Size: Test: 12; Footnote: 10
- Line Spacing: 1.5
- Alignment: Justify
- Footnote Style: The Oxford Standard for Citation of Legal Authorities (OSCOLA)
Online submission form:
- 1st prize: Rs. 25,000
- 2nd prize: Rs. 15,000
- 3rd prize: Rs. 10,000
Ms. Sangeeta Taak
Mr. Tathagat Chatterjee
Ms. Riya Prem Raaj
Ms. Shivani Bhatnagar