National Conference on Family Structure, Social Change and Law
Vivekananda Law School (VIPS) is organizing a National Conference on Family Structure, Social Change and Law
Date: 19th - 20th December, 2013
Law and society share a dialogic relationship. The nature of their relationship influences their initiation, trajectory as well as rendering in more ways than one. Law is comprehended as both the reflection as well as the aspiration of its society. This keen relationship between these institutions can be well understood and explored through the juncture of family and law. Family being the basic unit of a nation state is a subject matter of law at both the micro as well as the macro level. We at VLS understand the significance of evolving a holistic perspective as an essential tool for enhancement of understanding these overlapping categories. Vivekananda Law School, a pioneer Institute of law education proposes to organize a National Conference on 'Family Structure, Social Change and the Law'.
In our innovative enterprise of organizing a multi disciplinary conference, we seek to involve versatile disciplinary approaches involving social, economic, political, etc. vantage points from the fields of theory and the practice. We look forward to have a dynamic discussion transcending the beaten path, opening arenas of thought and analysis through an amalgamation of experiences, ideas, interventions, reflections and academic practice. India today, stands at a critical point in time where the defined social and political limits of the institution of family are being questioned and revised through the involvement of the state and judiciary. Rights of perceived marginalized sections of society like children, women and the aged remain the focus of garnering social change, hopeful to last in the long term. However, the age-old patriarchal social structure, knowledge boom and globalization and myriad forms of modernization (many a times even regressive) continue to remain the toughest challenges.
Vivekananda Institute of Professional Studies takes this opportunity to invite academics, law enforcers and research scholars to contribute to this stimulating exchange of ideas and dimensions on family, society and law.
Call for papers:
- Family and law
- Familial philanthropy and economic rights in a family (e.g. in undivided Hindu family)
- Women as daughters and brides (social and legal rights in natal and marital homes)
- Hindu undivided family
- Changing patterns of family
- Live in relationships as new form of family
- Elderly and incapacitated persons - care and protection
Marriage and law
- The institution of marriage
- Legal and social resolution of marital conflict
- Inter caste and inter religious marriages
- Succession and inheritance rights
- Marriage as a tool to achieve individual and group aspirations
Reproductive rights of women, surrogacy and adoption
- Abortions and women's choices
- Right to Abortion vs. Sex Selective Abortions
- Traditional surrogacy contracts
- Legal issues on surrogacy
- India as a field for commercial surrogacy
- Health issues and Rights of surrogate women in India.
- Surrogacy vs. Prostitution: Use of women's body
- Laws of adoption
- Adoption by single women
- Use and misuse of DNA technology and paternity matters
Violence against women and the media
- CEDAW and PWDVA - the law, loopholes and implementation
- Dowry and marital rape
- Media and reinforcement of traditional gender roles
- An abstract of 300 words with a brief profile of the author should be sent no later than 10th October, 2013 to: email@example.com.
- The authors of selected abstracts will be informed by evening of 20th of October 2013
- Last date for submission of full papers: 30th November 2013.
- Paper presenters Availing Accommodation: Rs. 1500/-
- Paper presenters Not Availing Accommodation: Rs. 500/-
- Audience participants: Rs. 300/-
VIPS will be providing all participants with hospitality and accommodation. We request all participants to take care of their travel expenses.
Ms. Sandhya Kumari
Vivekananda Institute of Professional Studies
AU Block (Outer Ring Road), Pitampura
Delhi - 110034