International Workshop on Empirical Legal Research
National Law University, Delhi in collaboration with Cornell University Law School, and the Society for Empirical Legal Studies (SELS), Cornell University, is organizing the International Workshop on Empirical Legal Research
Date: 2nd - 7th February, 2013
International in character, the workshop would be highly useful for not only to the fresh researchers and teachers in the university/colleges but also for those senior faculty members who did not have this type of exposure in their times of growing. The core objective of the workshop would be to developing skills of the participants in the areas of construction and applications of empirical legal research design and data analysis through use of software and computer applications. The workshop would effectively cover ELR steps like formulation of research problems, research design, sampling, hypothesis building, analysis frame etc.
Themes for the Workshop:
The workshop would focus on a range of subjects relating to ELR. Some illustrative areas are indicated below:
- Basics of Empirical Legal Research.
- Empirical Legal Research approach to the selected issues relating to judicial administration and judicial reforms (like research on arrest, bail, review & revision, delay & pendency, etc).
- Judicial Impact assessment Methodology.
- Developing research proposal for Empirical Legal Research.
- Developing research design for Empirical Legal Research.
- Training in tool construction for data collection in ELR.
- Training in data analysis techniques.
- Reporting of research findings.
Members of Faculty and Researchers in the Law Schools and Faculties of Law across the Asian region, including India, who have inclination and some experience in the application of Empirical Legal Research are invited to participate in the Workshop.
The intake of participants will be up to 50 participants, which includes a maximum of 30 participants from India and 20 participants from Asian region.
Due to anticipated oversubscription of the Workshop, participation therein will be strictly subject to selection. Prospective participants may send the Registration request in the duly filled Registration form as provided along with this brochure, at email@example.com on or before 1st January, 2013. The confirmation of participation will be communicated within one week of receipt of registration request.
Prof. G.S. Bajpai
National Law University Delhi,
Sector 14, Dwarka, Delhi, India - 100078