3rd National Seminar on Domestic Help Sector: Law and Policy
The seminar is organized by Ideal Institute of Management & Technology (IIMT) and School of Law, GGSIP University, Delhi.
Date: 23rd January, 2013
Venue: IIMT Auditorium, 16-X Karkardooma Institutional Area, Delhi
Domestic workers are the inseparable aspect of the society. This old age traditional service system, known as the domestic help sector, is full of vicious malpractices. In this sector, the involvement of the child labour, instances of trafficking of tribal and poor women and other vulnerable groups, denial of labour standards, sexual exploitation, exploitation by the recruiting agencies and negation of the social security in all spheres of work has been a significant blameworthy mark. The Constitution of India is not behind to make promise for social, economic and political justice to all classes including domestic workers.
However, the impugned sector is still deprived of justice and continuously being victimized, although, various steps have taken internationally like ILOs (International Labour Organization) 189th convention. The convention is aimed at securing the human rights and labour rights of domestic workers. Further, a discourageous sign is not out of the context which was seen in Mrs. Florence Joel v. Mater Dei School and others (2004) wherein Delhi High Court did not recognize the status of domestic workers and dismissed the petition.
The objective of the seminar is to study and analyze the impacts and the effects of existing and emerging issues in Domestic help sector in the light of changing societal structures and to draw suggestion for evolving a mechanism to cope with the emerging challenges by Law and policies.
IIMT & School of Law hopes that the entire course of discussion will finally create a body of knowledge, recommendation and would lead to fruitful learning for all.
Call for Papers:
Original and unpublished research papers are invited from academicians, research scholars and the professionals on the topic mentioned below. The author can, however, submit papers on topics falling under the broad theme of the seminar. The areas described below are only indicative but not limited in coverage.
- Domestic workers and human rights: Issues of denial of dignity and existence.
- Domestic workers and International perspective; emerging issues.
- Domestic workers, issues of workplace and social security laws: Issues and challenges.
- Domestic workers, middle men, sexual abuse and immoral trafficking; Rising exploitation and emerging issues.
- Any other issues.
Compendium shall be prepared on the basis of papers.
- All Abstracts and full papers should be in the format as follows: A4 Size, Times New Roman Font style, Font size 12 point, 1.25 inch margin on all sides, 1.5 lines spacing and justified.
- Papers should be submitted as a soft copy either in Microsoft Word or Acrobat format addressing to email@example.com and one hard copy at the Institute postal address i.e. IIMT, 16-X, Karkardooma Institutional Area, (Near Telephone Exchange) Delhi - 110092.
- The first page of the research paper should have the title of paper, Name of the Author, Designation, complete mailing address, phone number, fax number and email address, except for the cover page, authors name and the details should not appear anywhere else.
- Second page of research paper should have the abstract of about 250-300 words.
- All tables, charts and graphs should be prepared on separate sheets, after the references section and numbered continuously in roman numerical as referred to in the text.
- Last page of the research paper should contain a brief introduction about the authors in about 100 words.
- Research paper sent to the Seminal should be original work of the author.
An abstract of the paper should be electronically submitted to the convener latest by 20th December, 2012. Only the selected abstract of the papers will be allowed for presentation. The list of selected abstract will be uploaded /informed on institution web site http://idealinstitute.org by 25th December, 2012.
It is proposed that the one day seminar will be divided in 2 (two) interactive sessions.
Each session shall be shared by a Chair and Co-chair. Every session will have key theme for paper presentation.
- Last date for Paper submission: 10th Jan, 2013
- Last Date for Registration for Non-Authors: 14th Jan, 2013
All the participants are requested to get themselves registered by filling the registration form and sending the same at firstname.lastname@example.org
The registration fee should be paid by Demand Draft in favour of Ideal Institute of Management and Technology (School of Law) payable at Delhi or can be paid in cash on the day of Seminar itself.
Dr. Arvind Bhanu
Ideal Institute of Management and Technology & School of Law
16-X, Karkardooma Institutional Area,
Phone: +91-9871191526, 011-22372639
Download Brochure and Registration Form