All India Convenors Conference 2012
National Law Institute University-Bhopal, in association with Surana and Surana International Attorneys, will be conducting an All India Convenors Conference.
Convenors and Co-Convenors of various Moot Court Associations from across the country will be present at NLIU-Bhopal on 24th and 25th March, 2012 to discuss and deliberate upon various aspects of Moots and Mooting that need overhauling, alteration or standardization.
The primary purpose behind conducting this conference is to standardize moot formats across the country. It is our opinion that there exists no perfect mooting format in India at this point in time. We intend to formulate, after intense discussions, a near perfect model that ensures that the best teams win.
It is proposed that a resolution be drafted in the course of the conference, which will be signed by all the Convenors, and widely circulated among all law schools. Of course, the resolution will be merely recommendatory in nature.
Since Convenors from various institutions across the country will already be present, it is a good opportunity to discuss other issues pertaining to moots and mooting as well. Some of these matters that can be discussed are:
- Ensuring maximum participation by timing Moots based on the academic calendars of the various institutions.
- Create a standard scoring parameter that accounts for subjectivity in marking by high scoring and low scoring judges.
- Organize Annual pre-Moots to improve India's performance at the International rounds of Moots like Stetson, Jessup, Manfred Lachs and Vis (east and west).
- Organize Annual 'Moot Camps', to be rotated between various law schools, where aspiring and budding mooters (limited number from each University) will get to interact with pro-mooters (seniors and pass outs) in a non competitive atmosphere that will be both fun and helpful.
- Create uniform email IDs for easy communication between law schools and moot organizers.
- Create a database of prize winning memorials that are easily accessible to all, in order to increase the overall quality of research and memorial drafting.
- Generate a list of necessary legal databases so that Convenors can try to ensure their availability on their respective campuses.
This list is not exhaustive and any other item may be added to the agenda, at the discretion of the Convenors attending the Conference.
- The Convenor and Co-Convenor (or the 2 senior most members, by whatever designation known) of each University's Moot Court Association (or Moot Committee by whatever name known) are invited.
- Each University will have to pay a registration fee of Rs.500 (covers 2 representatives) towards the Conference. The payment can be made after your arrival at NLIU.
- Accommodation will be provided to 2 members from each University (23rd evening to 26th morning)
- All meals will be provided to all the representatives at the Conference.
- Pick up and Drop facility to and from the station/airport will be provided.
- Each University is encourage to make a presentation (using a ppt if you so wish) elaborating their ideas and views. Kindly note that the presentation is purely optional.
- An All Star Moot Round involving experienced champion mooters from the past is also planned.
- Certificates and mementos acknowledging their role in this event will be awarded to all participants of the Conference.
NLIU as well as Surana and Surana International Attorneys, would be honored by your presence at this event to make it a grand success. We hope for strong participation from all the Universities so that the Conference can have a substantial impact on Mooting in India.
If you will be participating in the conference, please send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org confirming the same. Also, please send in your travel details (arrival and departure from Bhopal) as soon as possible. We look forward to hosting in March.
Please find below a short note on the existing Moot Formats in India. The note is meant to give you a background to enable you to criticize, support or form new views on these formats, which possibly need some tweaking and standardization across the country.
Mr. Bishen Jeswant
Convenor, Moot Court Association
National Law Institute University, Bhopal
Phone: +91 9993706654
Download Existing Moot Formats