NLU, Jodhpur - Two Weeks Certificate Course on Public Economics
National Law University, Jodhpur is going to conduct the two weeks Certificate Course on Public Economics
Date: 10th - 22nd September, 2018
The certificate course is designed for academicians, civil servants, non-government organisations, legal professionals, social workers and other related stakeholders who aspire to conduct research and publish in public economics.
About the Course:
Public economics is the study of government policy from the lens of economic efficiency and equity. Government sets rule of Law, enforce property rights and creates conducive environment for the smooth and efficient functioning of market. In addition to this, free market fails to deliver the efficient outcomes and social justice spontaneously and hence arise the rationale for government intervention to correct the market distortions. The sheer extent, scope and cost of the government intervention in society, the economy and world affairs makes the study of public economics essential to keep the culture of democracy vibrant. There is a dearth of certificate courses on public economics in India.
To bridge this gap National Law University, Jodhpur is offering two weeks certificate course on public economics. The course deals with the nature of government intervention and its implications for allocation, distribution and stabilisation. It will focus on the role and responsibilities of government, provision of public goods, externalities, optimal design of tax policy and welfare programs. It also aims to develop an analytical framework to evaluate alternative public decision rules from a political economy perspective and the issues pertaining to Indian public finances.
At the end of this course, the learners would be able to:
- discuss the conditions required for efficient working of market
- outline the sources of market failure and potential policy responses
- make comparison of different government policy instruments to correct market failure and improves market outcomes
- discuss the tax structure design using equity and efficiency
- explain the determination of government expenditure
- to conduct the evaluation of different policy proposals
- understand the host of topics pertaining to Indian public finance including government budget, deficits, public debt and fiscal federalism, etc.
- Face-to-face interaction with resource persons during the course
- Opportunity to explore new career avenues in the changing public policy arena
- Access to the course material with power point presentations
- Access to NLUJ library throughout the course duration
- Access to the NLUJ faculty throughout the course to broaden the horizons from multi-disciplinary perspective
- Access to Wi-Fi connectivity
- Accommodation facility on payment basis shall be provided by the University
Participants selected on First cum First Serve basis will have to pay a course fee of Rs. 8000/- only. This fee will cover course material and participation in the conference. This fee is exclusive of accommodation charges which shall be separately paid by the participants to the University, if they opt for it. The hostel accommodation fee per room is Rs. 150/- per participant per day.
Once registered the fee shall not be refundable under any circumstances. All participants will be responsible for their own travel arrangements.
Mode of Payment:
Participants can register themselves for the course by sending the Demand Draft in favour of "Registrar, National Law University, Jodhpur" and payable at Jodhpur. Participants can also make the payment using the online fee deposit facility provided on the University website: www.nlujodhpur.ac.in
Interested applicants may register themselves by the following process:
- Download the registration form from National Law University, Jodhpur website: www.nlujodhpur.ac.in.
- The filled out form should be faxed or posted to Dr. Chitra Saruparia, Faculty of Humanities and Social Sciences, National Law University, NH 65, Near Mandore, Nagour Road, Jodhpur, Rajasthan. Fax No: 0291-2577540 or email the filled out form to firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com on or before 5th September, 2018.
- Make the payment of course fee through Demand Draft or using online fee deposit facility available on the University website.
Registration opens from:
23rd July, 2018
Last date for Registration:
8th September, 2018
Commencement of Classes:
10th September, 2018
End of Classes:
22nd September, 2018
Dr. Chitra Saruparia
Dr. Kranti Kapoor
National Law University,
NH-65, Near Mandore,
Nagour Road, Jodhpur,
Phone: +91-291-2577530, +91-291-2577526